Dr. Sayantan Hazra is presently working as an Associate Professor in the Electrical & Electronics Engineering Department at Mahindra École Centrale, Hyderabad.
His research interests are mainly in several areas of wireless communication systems including wireless channel modelling and signal processing in multi-carrier communication systems like 4G and 5G cellular systems and hybrid satellite-terrestrial broadcasting systems like DVB-SH. He also explores fading and interference problems in wideband communications and in detection techniques for navigation satellite systems. His most recent research work is Interleaver design for DVB-SH and DVB-NGH systems.
Dr. Hazra is a member of IEEE and IEEE Communications Society.
- Ph.D. (Electronics & Electrical Engineering), 2014
Indian Institute of Technology Guwahati
Thesis Title: Channel Modeling for Land Mobile Satellite Communications
- M.Tech (Specialization: Signal Processing), 2009
Indian Institute of Technology Guwahati
Thesis Title: Development of Efficient Modulation Techniques for Navigation Satellite Systems
- B.Tech (Electronics & Communication Engineering), 2007
University of Burdwan
SPONSORED RESEARCH AND CONSULTANCY UNDERTAKEN:
- Project Title: Detailed Analysis and Optimization of running network assets in a Smart Grid Framework.
Name of investigators: Prof. Arya Kumar Bhattacharya (PI), Prof. J. L. Bhattacharya, Dr. Sayantan Hazra, MEC, India.
Sponsoring Agency: Ministry of Energy, State of Ontario, Canada and Tech Mahindra.
Amount granted: 8 hundred 40 thousand INR (8.4 Lakhs Rs.)
Period: 1.5 year (June 2015-November 2016)
Significant Outcome: Two patents published and One international conference paper
- Project Title: Design, development, and performance evaluation of interleavers and channel coders in DVB-SH and DVB-NGH systems with 5G signals.
Principal investigator: Dr. Sayantan Hazra, MEC, India.
Sponsoring Agency: Seed grant from Mahindra École Centrale, India.
Amount granted: 400 thousand INR (4 Lakhs Rs.)
Period: 2 years (January 2020 - December 2021)
Status: Initial phase.
Reviewer of international journals/research articles:
- IEEE Wireless Communications Letter (2013-present)
- IET Communications Journal (2014-present)
- Electronics Letters (2019 - )
- 1. Dr. Hazra was invited to chair a session in IEEE Wireless and Mobile Computing, Networking and Communications (WiMob), Barcelona, 2019.
- 2. Secured an all India rank of 349 in the EC stream of the Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE) 2007.
- 3. MHRD (Ministry of Human Resource Development, India) Scholarship (2007-2013).
-  Amrita Agnes, Arya K. Bhattacharya, and Sayantan Hazra. "System and method for accurately monitoring and computing ageing life of a transformer in a smart grid framework".
US 2018-0003759 A1. Filed: 26.04.2017, Published: 01.04.2018.
-  Arya K. Bhattacharya, Sayantan Hazra, and Amrita Agnes. "System and Method for Loss of Life calculation for Ageing Assessment of running Transformers in a Smart Grid Framework".
201621022408. Filed: 30.06.2016, Published: 05.01.2018.
-  Sayantan Hazra, Burst error analysis based decision making for interleaver parameters in DVB-SH system with exact statistical distribution of SINR, under review, IEEE Wireless Communications Letters, 2019.
-  Sayantan Hazra and Abhijit Mitra, "Additive statistical modelling of land mobile satellite channels in three-dimensional scattering environment," IET Commun., vol. 6, no. 15, pp. 2361-2370, Oct. 2012.
-  Sayantan Hazra, Burst error analysis in hybrid satellite-terrestrial broadcasting systems for high velocity receivers, in IEEE 12th International Workshop on Selected Topics in Wireless and Mobile Computing, Networking and Communications (WiMob), Barcelona, Oct. 2019, pp. 146-151.
-  Amrita George, Arya K. Bhattachrya, Sayantan Hazra, and J.L. Bhattacharya, "Enhanced Loss of Life relations for IEEE Thermal model for ageing assessment of running transformers in Smart Grid frameworks", in IEEE Region 10 Symposium (TENSYMP), Kochi, India, July 2017.
-  S. Hazra and R. Bhattacharjee, "A new technique for derivation of LCR and AFD in wideband wireless channel," in National Conference on Communication, Delhi, India, Feb. 2013.
-  S. Hazra and A. Mitra, “A new land mobile satellite channel model with Nakagami-q distribution,” in National Conference on Communication, Kharagpur, India, Feb. 2012.
-  S. Hazra and A. Mitra, “Level crossing rate in land mobile satellite channel with a modified Nakagami- lognormal distribution,” in Advances in Computing and Communications, Kochi, India, ser. Communications in Computer and Information Science. Springer Berlin Heidelberg, 2011, vol. 192, pp. 601-608.
-  S. Hazra and A. Mitra, “A Correlation-Based Code Tracking Method for SinBOC(5,2) signal in GNSS Receivers,” in National Conference on Materials, Devices and Circuits in Communication Technology (MDCCT), Burdwan, India, Mar. 27-28, 2010, pp. 105-106.
-  S. Hazra and A. Mitra, "An Improved Correlation-Based Synchronization Scheme for BOC Signals in GNSS Receivers," in NCEPEC, PCMT, Kolkata, India, Feb. 12-13, 2010, pp. 105-109.
(NB: accepted in IEEE TENCON 2009, but withdrawn due to reimbursement issues)
- Invited Paper in National Conference/Workshop:
 S. Hazra and A. Mitra, “A New Single Distribution Model for Land Mobile Satellite Channels”, in IETE Zonal Seminar on Information and Communication Technology, Guwahati, India, August (2011).
- Associate Professor, Department of Electrical and Electronics Engineering, Mahindra École Centrale (2019 to present)
- Assistant Professor, Department of Electrical and Electronics Engineering, Mahindra École Centrale (2014 - 2019)
- Courses taught (Theory + Lab): Basic Electrical Engineering, Basic Electronics, Probability and Random Process, Signals and Systems, Communication Theory and Systems - I and - II, Experimental Lab - I and - II.
- Teaching Assistant, Department of EEE, Indian Institute of Technology Guwahati (2007 to 2013)
- Courses assisted: UG: Basic Electrical Sciences, Mobile Communication, Electrical Circuits Lab, and Digital Design Laboratory, PG course – Statistical Signal Processing.